Powertrains and MPG
The 2016 Toyota Tacoma takes its capability from one of two engines, giving drivers around Lexington and Blythewood the ability to select the amount of power that they need:
- 2.7L Four-Cylinder: Producing 159 hp and 180 lb-ft of torque, this engine enables the Tacoma to tow up to 3,500 pounds when properly equipped. With an automatic transmission, 4×2 models can achieve up to 19 mpg city/23 mpg highway,* while 4×4 models offer 19 mpg city/22 mpg highway.*
- 3.5L V6: Cranks out an impressive 278 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque, enabling the Tacoma to tow as much as 6,800 pounds when properly equipped. With an automatic transmission, this engine allows the Tacoma to achieve 19 mpg city/24 mpg highway* in 4×2 configurations or 18 mpg city/23 mpg highway* in 4×4 configurations.
The 2016 Toyota Tacoma’s five trims are available in regular cab, extended double cab, and CrewMax crew cab configurations, giving you the option of either a manual or automatic transmission. Adjustments to torque and horsepower makes for a smooth acceleration peak, and its new suspension — and a little mending to the frame — will make Lexington drivers feel even more planted, stable while driving.
Here’s a closer look at the trim levels:
- SR – Comes with the standard 2.7L four-cylinder engine, as well as amenities such as a 6.1-inch touchscreen interface, a rearview camera, heated mirrors, and keyless entry.
- SR5 – Standard 2.7L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder with 159 hp at 5,200 rpm and 180 lb-ft of torque at 3,800 rpm. This trim comes standard with rear-wheel drive and an automatic limited-slip differential. Like all the trims, it also has variable-assist power rack-and-pinion steering.
- TRD Sport – This baby starts with a 3.5L V6 DOHC 24-Valve direct-injection Atkinson-cycle engine with VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) intake and VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence) exhaust, with 278 hp @ 6000 rpm and 265 lb-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm. You also get additional features such as Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation.
- TRD Off-Road – This trim has the same engine as the TRD Sport and has a standard Low Emissions Vehicle rating, but is equipped with features such as an off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein shocks and an electronically controlled rear differential.
- Limited – Exclusively available in double cab and CrewMax configurations, it comes equipped with amenities such as front dual-zone automatic climate control and a power tilt/slide moonroof, in addition to leather upholstery, a navigation system, and an eight-way power driver’s seat.
Junk in the Trunk — a Durable Bed
Toyota suited-up this midsize truck. The 2016 Toyota Tacoma has a durable composite bed paired with its heavy-duty Deck Rail System can handle heavy loads and all-terrain movement, but it’s stylish enough for a date under Southern skies. The Tacoma also offers a lockable tri-fold tonneau hardcover as a back-up security for your truck bed.
- Composite Bed – The 2016 Tacoma truck bed is made with fiber-reinforced Sheet-Molded Composite surface, which increases impact strength.
- Deck Rail System – This system features C-channel frames and four heavy-duty adjustable tie-down cleats.
Creature Feature — Off-Road Ready
South Carolina, are you ready for off-roading? The 2016 Toyota Tacoma arms adventurers with a locking rear differential and Multi-terrain Select – but what does that mean?
- Locking Rear Differential – Offered standard on the TRD Off-Road trim, this ensures positive traction and evenly distributes engine power to both rear wheels, helping the Tacoma to provide more grip in low-traction conditions.
- Crawl Control – An option, this system regulates the truck’s throttle and brake on five low-speed settings. This takes additional stress off the driver so they can focus on navigating the difficult terrain.
- Multi-terrain Select – Though it doesn’t come standard, this option modulates wheel-spin by adjusting the engine throttle and brakes to improve traction.
In addition, the Tacoma helps Lexington and Blythewood drivers enjoy their time on the road with amenities such as:
- Entune Audio
- Bluetooth wireless technology
- 2.2-inch LCD odometer/tripmeter
- Integrated backup camera
- Integrated GoPro mount on windshield
- Power windows and door locks
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Dark gray grille with black surround
- Color-keyed power outside mirrors
- Color-keyed rear bumper
- 16-inch styled steel wheels
- Integrated color-keyed tailgate spoiler
- Projector-beam headlights with turn Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Two-speed windshield wipers
- Engine/front suspension cover
- Sliding rear window
- Easy lower tailgate with lock
- Deck Rail System
- Fiber-reinforced Sheet-Molded Composite (SMC) bed
The 2016 Toyota Tacoma: Capable, Comfortable, and Ready to Handle the Job
Take this top-notch midsize truck for a spin near Lexington and Blythewood! Contact Dick Dyer Toyota in Columbia SC to learn more and get behind the wheel!
* 2016 EPA-estimated city/highway mileage. Actual mileage will vary.