Changes for 2016
For the most part, the 2016 Toyota Corolla maintains the look and feel of last year’s model, along with a competitive MSRP. Orangeburg drivers will notice a couple of notable changes, though, including the latest version of Toyota’s Entune stereo system with better sound and functionality. This year also marks the 50th anniversary of the Corolla, bringing a Special Edition model to the table with special branding and styling throughout.
Performance and Fuel Economy
All Corolla models get their power from a 1.8L four-cylinder engine. The base trim comes with the option of a six-speed manual and four-speed automatic transmission, while most other models come standard with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The standard version of the Corolla makes 132 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque and can get up to EPA-estimated 38 mpg highway and 29 mpg city* with the help of the CVT. If you choose the LE Eco, you’ll get 140 hp and 126 lb-ft of torque as well as an increase in fuel economy up to 42 mpg highway and 30 mpg city,** according to the EPA.
Blythewood drivers will find that the 2016 Toyota Corolla provides an impressive amount of space for passengers inside the cabin, particularly for a compact sedan. There’s room for up to five people, including lots of rear seat legroom for this segment. It also boasts 13 cubic feet for storage in the trunk.
Trims and Features
Whether you’re looking for a feature-rich base model or ready to go all out, you can expect to get what you’re looking for in terms of features in the 2016 Toyota Corolla:
- L – The base trim sits on 15-inch steel wheels and comes with a surprising level of advanced tech in the cabin. This includes Bluetooth, a six-speaker Entune audio system, a 6.1-inch Entune touchscreen interface, and Siri Eyes Free voice controls. On the front end, the L trim features LED headlights with halogen high beams.
- LE – The second trim in the lineup rides on bigger 16-inch wheels and gives you the benefits of keyless entry, a climate control system, and the option to upgrade to a more advanced Entune infotainment system with satellite radio, HD radio, and a smartphone-linked navigation system.
- LE Eco – As its name indicates, the LE Eco puts the emphasis on going green by increasing efficiency. It does this through special powertrain tuning, a rear spoiler, and special design techniques to improve aerodynamics.
- S – If your focus is more on performance, opt for the S trim to get paddle shifters, a Sport drive mode, and an instrument cluster built to emphasize your performance. It’s also eligible for a sport-tuned suspension, rear disc brakes, and bigger wheels with the S Plus package. This trim reflects its sporty emphasis in terms of style, too, with a chrome exhaust tip, sport seats that wrap around the driver and front passenger, a chrome grille cover, and more.
- Special Edition – The 50th anniversary Special Edition trim comes with a number of unique styling flourishes, including Special Edition branding inside and out, a black interior with red stitching and trim accents, and special alloy wheels finished in black gloss.
The 2016 Toyota Corolla has earned a five-star overall rating from the NHTSA in government crash safety tests, and it’s also earned the top score of “Good” in the IIHS’s side impact, frontal offset, and roof strength tests. Every model comes with anti-lock brakes, a brake assist features, and a full suite of airbags. With the exception of the base L trim, all models also get a rearview camera.
Pricing by Trim
The 2016 Toyota Corolla has been priced with the average car buyer’s budget in mind:
- L – MSRP from $17,300***
- LE – MSRP from $18,735***
- LE Eco – MSRP from $19,135***
- S – MSRP from $19,365***
- Special Edition – MSRP from $20,635***
Get a Closer Look at the 2016 Toyota Corolla in Columbia, SC
From top to bottom and under the hood, the 2016 Toyota Corolla is an excellent choice for drivers who are seeking a small sedan. No matter which trim level or package you’re looking for, you’ll be able to get it when you shop at Dick Dyer Toyota. We’re happy to serve drivers in Lexington, Blythewood, and Orangeburg from our dealership at 240 Killian Commons Parkway in Columbia, SC. Drive by to see us today, or contact us to set up a test drive at (803) 786-4111.
* 2016 EPA-estimated city/highway mileage. Actual mileage will vary.
** 2016 EPA-estimated 30 city/42 highway/35 combined mpg for Corolla LE Eco CVT. Actual mileage will vary. Does not include LE Eco Plus and LE Eco Premium.
*** Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price, excludes the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee of $835 for Cars, $900 for Small/Light Trucks (Sienna, RAV4, Highlander Gas, Highlander HV, 4Runner, Tacoma and Venza), $1195 for Large Trucks (Tundra), and $995 for Large SUVs (Sequoia and Land Cruiser). (Historically, vehicle manufacturers and distributors have charged a separate fee for processing, handling and delivering vehicles to dealerships. Toyota’s charge for these services is called the “Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee” and is based on the value of the processing, handling and delivery services Toyota provides as well as Toyota’s overall pricing structure. Toyota may make a profit on the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee.) Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally required equipment. Actual dealer price will vary. Actual dealer document fee may vary.